Thursday, January 2, 2014

I know I'm a write because...

 I received an email from the fine people at NaNoWriMo that had the fine subject line of "I know I'm a writer because..." and it sent me a link to where hundreds of people had submitted the ways they knew they were a writer. 

I blew off the email but didn't delete it. Hmmm. I was looking at it again just before I remembered I promised to come back. Here I am, and that blasted email is all I can think on. 

I don't know I'm a writer. Sure, I've written two novels, 3 children's bedtime stories, and countless short stories.  I've delved into fan fiction and created original stories/characters. I've written G, PG, R, and XXX material. I'm always writing or thinking of something to write about. I wake up from dreams with plots for new manuscripts and titles of books I simply must discover how to get to the masses. I love writing nearly as much as I love reading, and that's saying something (that's just between you lot and me)

So, why couldn't I answer the NaNo question? Why did I suddenly feel like an abject failure?

I haven't had any success. Commercial success. My fan fiction had thousands of fans, but my original works haven't sold a single book. I know that has as much to do with marketing as it does withmy actual  book, but that doesn't make it sting any less.

Hundreds of people will download my books if they're offered for free, otherwise they just sit there and gather fake Internet dust.

Maybe someday, if/when someone who is not related to me sees one of my books and decided to buy it. Maybe then I'll be a real writer

Unit then, I'll leave you with this.

I know I'm a writer because I haven't made it yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment